5.23.2007

Asymmetrical Layouts

Synonyms to the term "asymmetric" are: shapeless, oblique, cockeyed, unequal, uneven, unbalanced... but I prefer the general term: different. There are too many things people have to balance in life--checkbooks, eating habits, work and play--but it's nice to squeeze in as much fun as we can. When I design cards, I try to keep in mind how the type, imagery and supporting elements interact with each other, as well as how they create a visually pleasing composition. I love seeing designs in books or websites that have wonderful layouts. They break the monotony of all else.





Today, I have an A2 card (One quarter of an 8.5" x 11") and a trio of 3" x 3" mini cards (which fit perfectly in Stampin' Up! mini square envelopes). All were created with the Polka Dots & Paisley set. Some of the backgrounds were made with the coordinating Polka Dots & Petals set. I cut out different elements from the Petals & Paisleys designer series paper: the tiny paisleys and the stems of some flowers. To add a leaf to the flower on the A2 card, I used my stampin' write marker to color in one of the petals of the "outlined flower" stamp. I tried two ways of creating scalloped edges: first, I used sticky strip along the edge of one card and adhered a row of 1/2" punched circles... then, for one of the 3" x 3" cards, I carefully punched a row of slits. This is one of my favorite punches of all time. It was the first one I purchased from SU! because I knew there were many possibilities. In time, I grew to like many of the others as well.

1 comment:

Angie Z ~ Duckwaddlequack said...

These are all just so lovely! Great layouts and I love the papers and colors you used!
~Angie